Monday, January 23, 2012

Blog Footer

The blog footer is way down at the bottom of your blog and should not be confused with the area below each blog post.  The blog footer is below your main text column.  So if you're on the home page, you have to scroll all the way down through all the latest blog posts to see the footer.

The footer can be customized.  How much it can be customized depends on what type of blogging platform you are using.  Essentially, you can put anything in the footer that you can put in the sidebars or header.

I have several blogs and I almost never use my footer area.  The primary reason being visibility.  Not many people are going to scroll all the way down and then take a peek at whatever widget you have down there.  So any important widget (following the blog, blog stats, etc...) should go in the bar if you actually want people to see it.

The second reason why I don't use the footer area is because I find it distracting.  Depending on how long the post is, the footer may be somewhat visible if the reader has clicked on an individual post title to read.  In other words, they are not looking at a single post and not your entire text column.  To me, it's overwhelming to have lots of content in the header, lots of content in the sidebar and lots of content in the footer.  I want the focus to always be on the blog post itself.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use the blog footer.  I'm just listing off reasons for why I don't use that space.  Depending on the type of blog you are writing, you have have a really good need for using that lower area.  Just remember to keep things clean and focused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment